marny_h96: (Default)
[personal profile] marny_h96 posting in [community profile] kiva
I joined Kiva on Friday and made my first loan to a woman in Ghana.

Has anyone here ever had a bad experience with Kiva?

Date: 2009-10-20 03:31 pm (UTC)
foxfirefey: A fox colored like flame over an ornately framed globe (Default)
From: [personal profile] foxfirefey
What do you define as a bad experience, though?

Date: 2009-10-20 04:56 pm (UTC)
foxfirefey: A fox colored like flame over an ornately framed globe (Default)
From: [personal profile] foxfirefey
No, it's totally okay! I think I have something I might want to share, but I don't really classify it as a bad experience on Kiva's part, but a...sobering one? I think I should make a post to the main community about it.

Date: 2009-10-23 06:40 am (UTC)
cesy: "Cesy" - An old-fashioned quill and ink (Default)
From: [personal profile] cesy
Yay for your first loan!

I've never had a bad experience, though I've seen other people be all shocked and horrified because they didn't understand how microfinance and Kiva work.

Date: 2010-02-05 10:28 am (UTC)
From: [personal profile] hivesofactivity
I suspect I come under that category! I'd had some loans out for a while before I realise how high the interest paid by the borrowers was, and I was pretty shocked by it, because it isn't really flagged up on the kiva site, and you have to dig for the info. I'm still lending, because the offer of an expensive loan is better than the realistic alternative, for most of the borrowers, of no loan at all - but I'd certainly support any move to pass on a bit of that cost onto the lenders.

Date: 2010-02-05 10:42 am (UTC)
From: [personal profile] hivesofactivity
(And, just to clarify, this wasn't a bad experience for me, I was just startled that the whole loan experience wasn't quite as good - although still very good - for the borrowers as I'd originally expected. I'm still lending, and I'm on the Dreamwidth team!)

Profile

kiva: Kiva "K" logo (Default)
Kiva and Microfinance

July 2010

S M T W T F S
    123
4567 8910
11121314151617
181920212223 24
25262728293031

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 14th, 2026 07:59 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios